Summer is the time for relaxation and carefree living. But, it’s also the season when you need to take special care of your skin. Who said you can’t enjoy your holiday and still take good care of yourself?
When exposed to the sun, our skin gets burned, dry, and chafed by UV rays that cause free radicals. These free radicals may cause cellular damage in the body if not handled properly. Aside from the risk of acquiring skin cancer, it can also accelerate the aging process.
Essential Summer Skincare Tips for Women
Instagram skincare expert Ken Julian weighed in with his top skincare tips for women to protect their skin. In addition, he shared his Summer skincare tips:
1. Sunscreen is still your best bet! – Use a sunscreen that covers both UVA and UVB rays with an SPF of at least 15 or higher. Ken recommends sunscreens from Neutrogena, Coppertone, Nivea, or those with zinc oxide and titanium dioxide as protective ingredients.
2. Use antioxidant serum – This is a great way to protect the skin from free radicals, especially if you’re exposing your face to the sun for long hours at a stretch. Ken recommends using antioxidant serums rich in natural extracts like green tea, acai berry, grapeseed extract, and vitamin C. These ingredients are known for their anti-aging effects that will keep your skin smooth and young.
3. Moisturize! – Ken suggests moisturizing twice a day to retain the moisture of the skin, which keeps it supple and elastic. He has his own creams recommended by dermatologists and can be found at online stores and pharmacies.
3. Drink a lot of water – Aside from being good for the skin, this is also essential in keeping up your body’s hydration levels because it helps flush out toxins from the body.
4. Keep hands away from the sun! – Hands are often exposed to harsh UV rays when driving or when walking outdoors. So make sure to apply sunscreen on your hands, too!
“Hands are a dead giveaway when it comes to aging,” says Ken. “When hands appear dry, our skin is already aging.”
5. Moisturize lips to protect from sunburn – Using a lip balm with SPF and applying it generously before venturing out can also help protect your lips from getting burned. Use products that are fragrance-free, like the Paul & Joe Lip Balm and Neutrogena MoistureShine Lip shine.
6. Take a break from tanning – While many women nowadays enjoy the bronze look, it’s best to take extra care of your skin by avoiding tanning. The sun can cause permanent damage to the skin and increase the risk of developing skin cancer down the road.
7. Don’t forget about your chest and back! – When you’re at the beach or playing in the pool, make sure to apply sunscreen on all exposed parts of your body to be protected from harmful UV rays.
Aside from these skincare tips, keep in mind that there are other kinds of damage your skin can acquire from the sun aside from burns and wrinkles. Sun exposure can also lead to eye damage by making it more prone to cataracts or even increases the risk of developing age-related macular degeneration.